MY7THLIFE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MY7THLIFE

MUSIC VIDEO

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lesson 18: The New Year’s Sacrifice
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2009)  I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:57 pm by Guest

» Lesson 17: An American Tragedy
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2009)  I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:56 pm by Guest

» Lesson 16: Tess of the D’Urbervilles
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2009)  I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:53 pm by Guest

» Lesson 15: Going Through Old Dreams
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2009)  I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:52 pm by Guest

» Lesson 14: How to Grow Old
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2009)  I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:51 pm by Guest

» Lesson 13: A Valentine to One Who Cared-Too Much
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2009)  I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:50 pm by Guest

» Lesson 12: China Can Basically Achieve Self-Sufficiency in Grain Trough Self-Reliance
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2009)  I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:49 pm by Guest

» Lesson 11: China and Britain in the World Economy
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2009)  I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:47 pm by Guest

» Lesson 10: A Global Economy
 CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2009)  I EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:46 pm by Guest

You are not connected. Please login or register

CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2009) I

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I. Multiple Choice(40 points in all, 1 for each)
Select from the four choices of each item the one that best answers the question or completes the statement and write the corresponding letter on the answer sheet.

1. In Renaissance, the European humanist thinkers and scholars made attempts to do the following  EXCEPT__B____.
A. getting rid of those old feudalist ideas
B. getting control of the parliament and government
C. introducing new ideas that expressed the interests of the rising bourgeoisie
D. recovering the purity of the early church, from the corruption of the Roman Catholic Church

2. The Petrarchan sonnet was first introduced into England by __B____.
A. Surrey  B. Wyatt
C. Sidney  D. Shakespeare

3. As the best of Shakespeare's final romances,___A___ is a typical example of his pessimistic view towards human life and society in his late years.
A. The Tempest  B. The Winter's Tale
C. Cymbeline  D. The Rape of Lucrece

4. John Milton's greatest poetical work __B____ is the only generally acknowledged epic in English literarure since Beowulf.
A.Areopagitica B. Paradise Lost
C. Lycidas D. Samson Agonistes

5. The British bourgeois or middle class believed in the following notions EXCEPT ___A___.
A. self - esteem  B. self - reliance
C. self - restraint  D. hard work

6. “Graveyard School”writers are the following sentimentalists EXCEPT __D____.
A. James Thomson  B. William Collins
C. William Cowper  D. Thomas Jackson

7. The best model of satire in the whole English literary history is Jonathan Swift's __A____.
A. A Modest Proposal  B. A Tale of a Tub
C. Gulliver's Travels  D. The Battle of the Books

8. As a representative of the Enlightenment,___C___ was one of the first to introduce rationalism to England.
A. John Bunyan  B. Daniel Defoe
C. Alexander Pope  D. Jonathan Swift

9. For his contribution to the establishment of the form of the modern novel,___B___ has been regarded by some as
“Father of the English Novel”.
A. Daniel Defoe  B. Henry Fielding
C. Jonathan Swift  D. Samuel Richardson

10. Which of the following descriptions of Gothic Novels is NOTcorrect? ___A___
A. It predominated in the early eighteenth century.
B. It was one phase of the Romantic movement.
C. Its principal elements are violence, horror and the supernatural.
D. Works like The Mysteries of Udolpho and Frankensteinare typical Gothic romance.

11. “Byronic hero” is a figure of the following traits EXCEPT__B____.
A. being proud  B. being of humble origin
C. being rebellious  D. being mysterious

12. Robert Browning created __A____ by adopting the novelistic presentation of characters.
A. the verse novel  B. the blank verse
C. the heroic couplet  D. the dramatic poetry

13. Charles Dickens' novel __B____ is famous for its vivid descriptions of the workhouse and life of the underworld in
the nineteenth- century London.
A. The Pickwick Paper  B. Oliver Twist
C. David Copperfield  D. Nicholas Nickleby

14. Charlotte Bronte's works are all about the struggle of an individual consciousness towards ___B___ about some lonely and neglected young women with a fierce longing for love, understanding and a full, happy life.
A. self - reliance  B. self - realization
C. self - esteem  D. self - consciousness

15. The symbolic meaning of “Book” in Robert Browning's long poem The Ring and the Bookis ___B___.
A. the common sense  B. the hard truth
C. the comprehensive knowledge  D. the dead truth

16. Thomas Hardy's pessimistic view of life predominated most of his later works and earns him a reputation as a___B___ writer.
A. realistic  B. naturalistic
C. romantic  D. stylistic

17. After the First World War, there appeared the following literary trends of modernism EXCEPT ___D___.
A. expressionism  B. surrealism
C. stream of consciousness  D. black humour

18. The masterpieces of critical realism in the early 20th century are the three trilogies of __A____.
A. Galsworthy's Forsyte novels  B. Hardy' s Wessex novels
C. Greene's Catholic novels  D. Woolf's stream-of-consciousness novels

19. In the mid - 1950s and early 1960s, there appeared “__C____” who demonstrated a particular disillusion over the depressing situation in Britain and launched a bitter protest. against the outmoded social and political values in their society.
A. The Beat Generation  B. The Lost Generation
C. The Angry Young Men  D. Black Mountain Poets

20.The following are English stream-of-consciousness novels EXCEPT__D____.
A.Pilgrimage  B. Ulysses
C.Mrs.Dalloway  D. A Passage to Inida

21. The leader of the Irish National Theater Movement in the early 20th century was __A____.
A. W.B.Yeats  B. Lady Gregory
C. J.M.Synge  D. John Galworthy

22. T.S.Eliot's most popular verse play is __A____.
A. Murder in the Cathedral  B. The Cocktail Party
C. The Family Reunion  D. The Waste Land

23. The American writer __C____ was awarded the Nobel Prize for the anti-racist Intruder in the Dustin 1950.
A. Ernest Hemingway  B. Gertrude Stein
C. William Faulkner  D.T.S. Eliot

24. Hemingway's second big success is __B____ , which wrote the epitaph to a decade and to the whole generation in the 1920s, in order to tell us a story about the tragic love affair of a wounded American soldier with a British nurse.
A. For Whom the Bell Tolls  B. A Farewell to Arms
C. The Sun Also Rises  D. The Old Man and the Sea

25. With the publication of __A____ , Dreiser was launching himself upon a long career that would ultimately make him one of the most significant American writers of the school later known as literary naturalism.
A. Sister Carrie  B. The Titan
C. The Genius  D. The Stoic

26. Henry James is generally regarded as the forerunner of the 20th-century “stream -of-consciousness”novels and the founder of __B____.
A. neoclassicism  B. psychological realism
C. psychoanalytical criticism  D. surrealism

27. In 1849, Herman Melville published ___C___ ,a semi-autobiographical novel, concerning the sufferings of a genteel youth among brutal sailors.
A. Omoo  B. Mardi
C. Redburn  D. Typee

28. As a sequel to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer,__A____ marks the climax of Mark Twain's literary activity.
A. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn  B. Life on the Mississippi
C. The Gilded Age  D. Roughing It

29. Realism was a reaction against __A____ or a move away from the bias towards romance and self- creating fictions,
and paved the way to Modernism.
A. Romanticism  B. Rationalism
C. Post-modernism  D. Cynicism

30. When World War  II  broke  out,__A____  began  working  for  the  Italian  government,  engaged  in  some  radio broadcasts of anti- Semitism and pro- Fascism.
A. Ezra Pound  B.T.S. Eliot
C. Henry James  D. Robert Frost

31. In 1915 __A____ became a naturalized British citizen, largely in protest against America's failure to join England in the First World War.
A. Henry James  B.T.S.Eliot
C. W.D.Howells  D. Ezra Pound

32. What Whitman prefers for his new subject and new poetic feelings is “__D____ ,” that is, poetry without a fixed beat or regular rhyme scheme.
A. blank verse  B. free rhythm
C. balanced structure  D. free verse

33. The American woman poet __C____ wanted to live simply as a complete independent being, and so she did, as a spinster.
A. Emily Shaw  B. Anna Dickinson
C. Emily Dickinson  D. Anne Bret

34. The  Birthmark drives home symbolically __C____ point that evil is a man's birthmark, something he was born with.
A. Whitman's  B. Melville's
C. Hawthorne's  D. Emerson's

35. The Financier ,The Titanand The Stoic written by _B_____ are called his “Trilogy of Desire”.
A. Henry James  B. Theodore Dreiser
C. Mark Twain  D. Herman Melville

36. Disregarding grammar and punctuation,__D____ always used “i” instead of “I” in his poems to show his protest against self-importance.
A. Wallace Stevens  B. Ezra Pound
C. Robert Frost  D. E.E.Cummings

37. Though Robert Frost is generally considered a regional poet whose subject matters mainly focus on the landscape and people in __C____ , he wrote many poems that investigate the basic themes of man's life in his long poetic career.
A. the west  B. the south
C. New England  D. Alaska

38. Most critics have agreed that Fitzgerald is both an insider and an outsider of __C____ with a double vision.
A. the Gilded Age  B. the Rational Age
C. the Jazz Age  D. the Magic Age

39. In the American Romantic writings,__D____ came to function almost as a dramatic character that symbolized moral law.
A. fire  B. water
C. trees  D. wilderness

40. The desire for an escape from society and a return to __B____ became a permanent convention of the American literature.
A. the family life  B. nature
C. the ancient time  D. fantasy of love

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum