MY7THLIFE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MY7THLIFE

MUSIC VIDEO

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lesson 18: The New Year’s Sacrifice
Lesson 5:   Opportunities Open in the West EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:57 pm by Guest

» Lesson 17: An American Tragedy
Lesson 5:   Opportunities Open in the West EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:56 pm by Guest

» Lesson 16: Tess of the D’Urbervilles
Lesson 5:   Opportunities Open in the West EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:53 pm by Guest

» Lesson 15: Going Through Old Dreams
Lesson 5:   Opportunities Open in the West EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:52 pm by Guest

» Lesson 14: How to Grow Old
Lesson 5:   Opportunities Open in the West EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:51 pm by Guest

» Lesson 13: A Valentine to One Who Cared-Too Much
Lesson 5:   Opportunities Open in the West EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:50 pm by Guest

» Lesson 12: China Can Basically Achieve Self-Sufficiency in Grain Trough Self-Reliance
Lesson 5:   Opportunities Open in the West EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:49 pm by Guest

» Lesson 11: China and Britain in the World Economy
Lesson 5:   Opportunities Open in the West EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:47 pm by Guest

» Lesson 10: A Global Economy
Lesson 5:   Opportunities Open in the West EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:46 pm by Guest

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lesson 5: Opportunities Open in the West

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lesson 5:   Opportunities Open in the West Empty Lesson 5: Opportunities Open in the West Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:39 pm

The first great rush of population to the far west was drawn to the mountainous regions, where gold was found in California in 1848, in Colorado and Nevada 10 years later, in Montana and Wyoming in the 1860s, and in the Black Hills of the Dakota country in the 1870s.

大规模迁往极西地带的移民,大多集中在山区。在那里,加州于一八四八年发现了金矿,十年后在科罗拉多和内华达州,十九世纪六十年代在蒙大拿和怀俄明州,十九世纪七十年代在达科他的黑山地区都先后发现了金矿。

Feeding as they went, the cattle arrived at railway shipping points in Kansas, larger and fatter than when they started.

牛群边走边吃,到堪萨斯州的铁路运输站时,已长得比出发时更大更肥壮了。

Western cities flourished as centers for the slaughter and dressing of meat.

西部的城市因成了屠宰业和调制肉类的中心而繁荣起来。

Soon this “long drive” became a regular event, and, for hundreds of kilometers, trails were dotted with herds of cattle moving northward.

不久,这样的长征就成为常事了。向北移动的牛群,在几百公里的征途上,留下了无数足迹。

Ranchmen were ousted from lands they had roamed without legal title. Soon the romantic “wild west” had ceased to be.

原来未经合法手续取得土地的牧羊人都被赶了出去。不久,这片具有浪漫气氛的“西部荒原”,便不复存在了。

Cattle-raising, long an important industry in Texas, became even more flourishing after the war, when enterprising men began to drive their Texas long horns north across the open public domain.

在得克萨斯州,养牛早就是重要行业,在战后尤见繁荣,大胆的赶牛人赶着得州的长角牛,穿过了开放的公共地带,向北走去。

All plays are alike to me just as all music is alike to Tony.

正如托尼对音乐毫无欣赏力一样,我对戏剧也一窍不通。

The great use of school education is not so much to teach you things as to teach you the art of learning.

学校的最大用途与其说是教你一些知识,倒不如说是教给你学习的方法。

In the same period, the nation’s population more than doubled, with largest growth in the cities.

同一时期,全国人口也增加一倍多,城市人口的增长尤为显著。

I haven’t heard from her since she was ill.

自她病愈以来,我一直没有得到她的信儿。

The thick carpet killed the sound of my footsteps.

地毯很厚,我走在上面一点声音都没有。

Under the Homestead Act they staked their claims and fenced them with barbed wire.

根据《定居法案》,他们圈定了所得的土地,并用铁蒺藜围了起来。

Miners opened up the region, established communities, and laid the foundation for more permanent settlements.

采矿者开发了这一地区,建立了村镇,打下了长期居住的基础。

The real wealth of Montana, Colorado and California proved to be in the grass and soil.

蒙大拿、科罗拉多和加州的真正财富是在草原与沃土中。

Didn’t she swear she’d never again believe anything in trousers?

她不是发誓从此以后再也不相信男人吗?

He has been on business, that accounts for his absence.

他出差了,这就是他缺席的原因。

Between 1860 and 1910, the number of farms in the United States tripled.

在1860年到1910年间,美国的农场数增加了两倍。

Despite the great gains in industry , agriculture remained the nation’s basic occupation.

尽管工业方面取得了很大进步,但农业始终是国家的基本行业。

Make no mistakes about it, boxing is the only sport to confess injuries.

毫无疑问,拳击是唯一承认会引起伤害的一项运动。

Scarcely less important than machinery in the agricultural revolution was science.

在农业革命中,科学和机械几乎同等重要。

A pretext was the last thing that Hastings was likely to want.

哈丁斯可能不需要任何借口。

I haunted all the meeting in London where debates followed lecture.

伦敦的集会,凡是演讲结束以后接着进行辩论的,我都参加。

A cat, whose eyes can take in more rays of light than our eyes, can see things clearly in the night.

由于猫的眼睛能比我们人的眼睛吸收更多的光线,所以猫在夜间看东西很清楚。

I hope your success, which is an inspiration to me, will continue.

你的成功对我是个鼓舞,我希望你不断取得成功。

The acid test is expected to come today or early next week when a bill goes before the U.S. Congress for approval of the sale of U.S.$60 million worth of spare parts to Taiwan.

出售价值六千万美元零件给台湾的法案将在今天或下周初提交美国国会批准,届时严峻的考验就要到来了。

The thief, who was about to escape, was caught by the policemen.

小偷正要逃跑时,被警察抓住了。

He managed to raise a crop of 200 miracle tomatoes that weighted up to two pounds each.

他居然种出了两百个令人惊奇的西红柿,每个重达两磅。

I have strong opinions, which wouldn’t suit you.

我有些坚决的主张,怕对你们不合适。

Vicky was an energetic student who labored at her dissertation on a little-known 14th century poet.

维基是一个精力充沛的学生,她不辞劳苦地撰写那篇关于14世纪一位鲜为人知的诗人的学位论文。

He had talked to Vice-President, who assured him that everything that could be done would be done.

他和副总统谈过话,副总统向他保证,凡是能够做到的都将会去做。

He took the idea to Bill, who like it and ordered a secret study; made to see if it could be done.

他把这个想法汇报给比尔,比尔对此很感兴趣,命令进行秘密研究,看看是否可行。

He was not one of the long-winded prosy speakers, who seem to delight in talking chiefly because they give delight to nobody.

他绝不是长篇大论、令人乏味的演说家,那些演说家似乎主要以讲话不使人感兴趣为乐趣。

Actually, it isn’t Because it assumes that there is an agreed account of human rights, which is something the world does not have.

事实并非如此,因为它(这种问法)是以人们对人的权利有共同认识为基础的,而这种共同认识并不存在。

He wanted to send them more aid, more weapons and a few more men.

他想给他们增加些援助,增添些武器,增派些人员。

The summer faded. Trade grew more competitive.

余晖消失了,贸易竞争越来越激烈了。

Some six million head of cattle were driven up from Texas to winter on the high plains of Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana.

大约有六百万头牛从得州放牧到科罗拉多、怀俄明、蒙大拿等地的高原上过冬。

Eventually, though a few communities continued to be devoted almost exclusively to mining, the real wealth of Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, and California proved to be in the grass and soil.

后来,虽然少数城镇几乎专门从事采矿业,但蒙大拿、科罗拉多、怀俄明、爱达荷等州的真正财富,也和加利福尼亚州一样,还是在草原和沃土中。

Western cities flourished as centers for the slaughter and dressing meat.

西部城市因成了屠宰业和调制肉类的中心而繁荣起来。

The gentlemen unfortunately took notice of Tom’s name, which was written in many parts of the book.

遗憾的是,这位先生发现书里好些地方都有汤姆的名字。

At dinner I found myself placed between Mrs. Bradley and a shy drab girl who seemed even younger than the others.

席间,我发现我座位两边分别是布莱得雷太太和一位腼腆而乏味的姑娘,这姑娘看上去比其他人都要年轻。

We will put off the outing until next week, when we won’t be so busy.

我们把郊游推迟到下星期,到那时我们不会这么忙。

You compare her with your English-women who wolf down from three to five meals a day; and naturally you find her a sylph.

你们英国女人每天狼吞虎咽地吃上三餐到五餐肉食,你们拿她来与你们相比,当然觉得她是个窈窕淑女了。

我就担心丧失机会。不抓呀,看到的机会就丢掉了,时间一晃就过去了。

The only thing I worry about is that we may lose opportunities. If we don’t seize them, they will slip through our fingers as time speeds by.

超导的研究是个重大的突破。我们认为,该项研究成果是成功的和令人鼓舞的;日本东京大学高木俊宜教授认为是成功的和令人鼓舞的;美国普林斯顿大学摩根索教授也认为这项成功的研究是令人鼓舞的。

The research on superconductivity is an important breakthrough and we think this result is successful and encouraging. Our opinion is shared by Professor Tashinori Takagi from Tokyo University and Professor Morgenhau of Princeton University, U.S.A.

a bigger movement in the air 一场更大的运动在酝酿中

country-wide trade 全国范围的贸易

dressing of meat 调制肉类

legal title 合法手续

stock-raising 畜牧业

heavily pastured 过度放牧

Homestead Act 宅地法

the gold rush 淘金热

The Great Lakes 五大湖

with legal title 以合法手续

machine farming 机械农业

account for 造成