MY7THLIFE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MY7THLIFE

MUSIC VIDEO

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lesson 18: The New Year’s Sacrifice
Lesson 1:   The Quest EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:57 pm by Guest

» Lesson 17: An American Tragedy
Lesson 1:   The Quest EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:56 pm by Guest

» Lesson 16: Tess of the D’Urbervilles
Lesson 1:   The Quest EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:53 pm by Guest

» Lesson 15: Going Through Old Dreams
Lesson 1:   The Quest EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:52 pm by Guest

» Lesson 14: How to Grow Old
Lesson 1:   The Quest EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:51 pm by Guest

» Lesson 13: A Valentine to One Who Cared-Too Much
Lesson 1:   The Quest EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:50 pm by Guest

» Lesson 12: China Can Basically Achieve Self-Sufficiency in Grain Trough Self-Reliance
Lesson 1:   The Quest EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:49 pm by Guest

» Lesson 11: China and Britain in the World Economy
Lesson 1:   The Quest EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:47 pm by Guest

» Lesson 10: A Global Economy
Lesson 1:   The Quest EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:46 pm by Guest

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lesson 1: The Quest

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lesson 1:   The Quest Empty Lesson 1: The Quest Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:17 pm

Taking the train, the two friends arrive d in Berlin in late October 1922, and went directly to the address of Chou En-lai.

他们两个人坐火车于一九二二年十月下旬到达柏林,立即去了周恩来的住处。

Chu The remembered his age. He was thirty-six, his youth had passed like a screaming eagle, leaving him old and disillusioned.

朱德想起自己的年龄,36岁了,青春转瞬即逝,使他感到衰老和失望。

When Chou En-lai’s door opened they saw a slender man of more than average height with gleaming eyes and a face so striking that it bordered on the beautiful. Yet it was a manly face, serious and intelligent, and Chu judged him to be in his middle twenties.
Chou was a quiet and thoughtful man, even a little shy as he welcomed his visitors, urged them to be seated and to tell how he could help them.

Ignoring the chair offered him, Chu The stood squarely before this young more than ten years his junior and in a level how he had fled from Yunnan, talked with Sun Yat-sen, been repulsed by Chen Tu-hsiu in Shanghai, and had come to Europe to find a new way of life for himself and a new revolutionary road for China. He wanted to join the Chinese Communist Party group in Berlin, he would study and work hard, he would do anything he was asked to do but return to his old life, which had turned to ashes beneath his feet.

周恩来的房门打开时,他们看到的是一个身材修长,比普通人略高一点的人,两眼炯炯有神,面貌很引人注意,称得上是清秀。然而那是个男子汉的面庞,严肃而聪颖,朱德看他大概是二十五、六岁的年龄。

周恩来举止优雅,待人体贴,在招呼他们坐下,询问他们有何见教的时候,甚至还有些腼腆。

朱德顾不得拉过来的椅子,端端正正地站在这个比他年轻十几岁的青年面前,用平稳的语调,说明自己的身份和经历;他怎样逃出云南,怎样会见孙中山,怎样在上海被陈独秀拒绝,怎样为了寻求自己新的生活方式和中国新的革命道路而来到欧洲。他要求加入中国共产党在柏林的党组织,他一定会努力学习和工作,只要不回到旧的生活——它已经在他的脚底下化为尘埃了——派他做什么工作都行。

Would this man receive them as fellow countrymen, or would he treat them with cold suspicion?

这个人会不会像同胞手足一样接待他们呢?会不会对他们疑虑重重呢?

As he talked Chou En-lai stood facing him, his head a little to one side as was his habit, listening intently until the story was told, and then questioning him.

他娓娓而谈,周恩来就站在他面前,习惯地侧着头,一直听到朱德把话说完,才提出问题。

When both visitors has told their stories, Chou smiled a little, said he would help them find rooms, and arrange for them to join the Berlin Communist group as candidates until their application had been sent to China and an answer received.

两位来客把经历说完后,周恩来微笑着说,他可以帮他们找到住的地方,替他们办理加入党在柏林的支部的手续,在入党申请书寄往中国而尚未批准之前,暂作候补党员。

It’s not suggest that we should never utter a syllable about the dark side of event. Of course not.

这并不意味着对事物的阴暗面我们可以只字不提。当然不是。

On these occasions he was given a dinner in his honor and Premier Chou En-lai would attend.

这时候,主人总要为他举行宴会,周总理也出席。

It was a matter of pride to the Mendels that John did so well in his classes that he was recommended for higher learning.

约翰学业优秀,被推荐到高一级学校学习,门德尔全家为此感到自豪。

He walked Susan to the corner and sent his greetings to John, and to Mary, their daughter.

他送苏珊到街口拐弯处,请她向约翰和他们的女儿玛丽问好。

In his middle twenties 二十五六岁

对我们初学翻译的人来说,我想可以提出两条要求: 忠实,通顺。

Several times on his trips to China, which he made as a guest of the Chinese Government, Bill’s birthday occurred while he was in Beijing.

比尔作为中国政府的客人多次访问中国,好几次都赶上在北京过生日。

Bill was given a chair and asked to wait a little as darkness came on, then suddenly the whole bridge was outlined in lights.

天快黑了,有人给比尔一把椅子,请他坐下等一会儿。忽然电灯全亮了,照出了整座大桥的轮廓。

At the hotel I always finished the meal with ice cream and the girls there would laugh because I like it so much.

我在饭店吃饭,最后总是吃冰激凌。我吃的津津有味,惹得那些女服务员发笑。

No man is so foolish but he may give another good counsel sometimes.

人再愚笨,有时也能给别人提出好的忠告。

I said “I didn’t know you could speak English”. He laughed and he said “a little bit” measuring with his finger and thumb.

我说:“没想到您会说英语呀。”他笑了起来,接着说:“一点点”一面说着,一面用食指和拇指比划着。

“You mustn’t use all that electricity to please me” he protested.

他不满地说道:“你们不应该费这么多电,就是为了让我高兴。”

Zhou En-lai arranged for experts from Beijing University to give Bill Morrow some up-to-date information he wanted.

比尔·莫罗想了解一些新的情况,周恩来就安排北京大学的专家向他作介绍。

“I’m just an old burn at home,”Bill said,“but here you treat me like a VIP”

比尔说:“我在国内不过是个流浪汉,而在你们这里却把我当成一位要人。”

The was the very house in which I was born.

那正是我出生的那间房子。

他们省吃俭用,为了给国家多积累资金。

They live frugally to accumulate more funds for the state.

Fellow countrymen 同胞手足

Gleaming eyes炯炯有神的眼睛

Late October 十月底

Full member 正式会员

In the thirties 三十年代

Prime Minister 首相

Director-general 总干事

VIP(very important person)重要人物/要人

More than ten years his junior 比他年轻十几岁

More than average height 比普通人略高

A slender man of more than average height 一个身材修长,比普通人略高一点的人

In a level voice 用平稳的语调