MY7THLIFE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MY7THLIFE

MUSIC VIDEO

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lesson 18: The New Year’s Sacrifice
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2000) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:57 pm by Guest

» Lesson 17: An American Tragedy
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2000) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:56 pm by Guest

» Lesson 16: Tess of the D’Urbervilles
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2000) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:53 pm by Guest

» Lesson 15: Going Through Old Dreams
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2000) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:52 pm by Guest

» Lesson 14: How to Grow Old
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2000) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:51 pm by Guest

» Lesson 13: A Valentine to One Who Cared-Too Much
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2000) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:50 pm by Guest

» Lesson 12: China Can Basically Achieve Self-Sufficiency in Grain Trough Self-Reliance
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2000) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:49 pm by Guest

» Lesson 11: China and Britain in the World Economy
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2000) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:47 pm by Guest

» Lesson 10: A Global Economy
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2000) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:46 pm by Guest

You are not connected. Please login or register

CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2000) I

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PART ONE (40 POINTS)
Ⅰ. Multiple Choice(40 points in all, 1 for each)
Select from the four choices of each item the one that best answers the question or completes the statement. Write your answers in the corresponding space on the answer sheet.

1.The sentence "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" is the beginning line of one of Shakespeare's ___C_____ .
A.comedies
B.tragedies
C.sonnets
D.histories

2."So much the worse for me, that I am strong. Do I want to live? What kind of living will it be when you-oh, God! Would you like to live with your soul in the grave?"
In the above passage quoted from Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights, the word "soul" apparently refers to ___B____ .
A.Heathcliff
B.Catherine
C.ghost
D.one's spiritual lift

3."And where are they? And where art thou,"
My country? On thy voiceless shore
The heroic lay is tuneless now-
The heroic bosom beats no more!"(George Gordon Byron, Don Juan)
In the above stanza, "art thou" literally means ___A____ .
A."are you"
B."art though"
C."are though"
D."art you"

4.The major concern of ___B____ fiction lies in the tracing of the psychological development of his characters and in his energetic criticism of the dehumanizing effect of the capitalist industrialization on human nature.
A.Charles Dickens's
B.D.H.Lawrence's
C.Thomas Hardy's
D.John Galsworthy's

5.Daniel Defoe describes ___D____ as a typical English Middle-class man of the eighteenth century, the very prototype of the empire builder or the pioneer colonist.
A.Tom Jones
B.Gulliver
C.Moll Flanders
D.Robinson Crusoe

6."To be so distinguished is an honor, which, being very little accustomed to favors from the great, I know not well how to receive, or in what terms to acknowledge."
The above quoted sentence is presented by Samuel Johnson with a(n) ___C____ tone.
A.delightful
B.jealous
C.ironic
D.humorous

7."She lived unknown, and few could know
When Lucy ceased to be;
But she is in her grave, and, oh,
The difference to me!"
The word "me" in the last line of the above stanza quoted from Wordsworth's poem "She Dwelt Among the Untrodden Ways" may possibly refer to ___C____ .
A.the poet
B.the reader
C.her lover
D.everybody

8.___A____ is a typical feature of Swift's writings.
A.Bitter satire
B.Elegant style
C.Casual narration
D.Complicated sentence structure

9.The statement "It reveals the dehumanizing workhouse system and the dark, criminal underworld life" may well sum up the main theme if Dickens's ___D____ .
A.David Copperfield
B.Bleak House
C.Great Expectations
D.Oliver Twist

10."Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless?…And if God had gifted me with some beauty, and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you."
The above quoted passage is most probably taken from ___B____ .
A.Pride and Prejudice
B.Jane Eyre
C.Wuthering Heights
D.Great Expectations

11.It is generally regarded that Keats's most important and mature poems are in the form of ___A____ .
A.ode
B.elegy
C.epic
D.sonnet

12.G.B.Shaw's play Mrs.Warren's Profession is a realistic exposure of the ___D____ in the English society.
A.slum landlordism
B.inequality between men and women
C.political corruption
D.economic exploitation of women

13.In William Blake's poetry, the father(and any other in whom he saw the image of the father such as God, priest, and king)was usually a figure of __D_____ .
A.benevolence
B.admiration
C.love
D.tyranny

14."'I believe you are made of stone,'he said, clenching his fingers so hard that he broke the fragile cup. …'You seem to forget,' she said,'that cup is not!'"
From the above quoted passage, we can find the woman's tone is very __A_____ .
A.sarcastic
B.amusing
C.sentimental
D.facetious

15.The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan is often said to be concerned with the search for ___B__ .
A.material wealth
B.spiritual salvation
C.universal truth
D.self-fulfillment

16.Alexander Pope strongly advocated ___D____, emphasizing that literary works should be judged by rules of order, reason, logic, restrained emotion, good taste and decorum.
A.sentimentalism
B.romanticism
C.idealism
D.neoclassicism

17.After reading the first chapter of Pride and Prejudice, we may come to know that Mrs. Bennet is a woman of ___B____ .
A.simple character and quick wit
B.simple character and poor understanding
C.intricate character and quick wit
D.intricate character and poor understanding

18.Of all the eighteenth-century novelists, ___C____ was the first to set out, both in theory and practice, to write specifically a "comic epic in prose," and the first to give the modern novel its structure and style.
A.Daniel Defoe
B.Samuel Richardson
C.Henry Fielding
D.Oliver Goldsmith

19."Not on thy sole but on thy soul, harsh Jew,/Thou mak'st thy knife keen."
In the above quotation taken form The Merchant of Venice, Shakespeare employs a(n)___B____ .
A.oxymoron
B.pun
C.simile
D.synecdoche

20.In Hardy's Wessex novels, there is an apparent ___C____ touch in his description of the simple and beautiful though primitive rural life.
A.humorous
B.romantic
C.nostalgic
D.sarcastic

21."O prince, O chief of many throned powers,"
That led the embattled seraphim to war
Under thy conduct, and in dreadful deeds
Fearless, endangered Heaven's perpetual King."
In the third line of the above passage quoted from Milton's Paradise Lost, the phrase "thy conduct" refers to ___A____
conduct.
A.Satan's
B.God's
C.Adam's
D.Eve's

22.We can perhaps describe the west wind in Shelley's poem "Ode to the West Wind" with all the following terms except __A_____ .
A.tamed
B.swift
C.proud
D.wild

23.In 1837, Ralph Waldo Emerson made a speech entitled ___D____ at Harvard, which was hailed by Oliver Wendell Holmes as "Our intellectual Declaration of Independence."
A."Nature"
B."Self-Reliance"
C."Divinity School Address"
D."The American Scholar"

24.In Hawthorne's "Young Goodman Brown," a satanic figure leads the credulous protagonist to a witches' Sabbath in the woods. There he recognizes many pillars of Salem's Puritan society as well as his wife, Faith. The story illustrates Hawthorne's allegorical theme of human evil or what Melville called the "power of ___A____ ."
A.blackness
B.whiteness
C.terror
D.hypocrisy

25.For Melville, as well as for the reader and ___B____ , the narrator, Moby Dick is still a mystery, an ultimate mystery of the universe.
A.Ahab
B.Ishmael
C.Stubb
D.Starbuck

26.Most of the poems in Whitman's Leaves of Grass sing of the "en-mass" and the ___C____ as well.
A.nature
B.self-reliance
C.self
D.life

27.Emily Dickinson's poem(441)"This is my letter to the World" expresses the poet's ___C____ about her
communication with the outside world.
A.indifference
B.joy
C.anxiety
D.indignation

28.Which of the following statements about writers in 1920s is true? ___C____ .
A.Mark Twain published his last and most important novel.
B.F. Scott Fitzgerald received the Nobel Prize.
C.Freudian psychology influenced many modern writers.
D.Most writers were politically radical.

29.Naturalism is evolved from realism when the author's tone in writing becomes less serious and less sympathetic
but more ironic and more ___D____ .
A.rational
B.humorous
C.optimistic
D.pessimistic

30.Mark Twain's first novel ___A____ , written in collaboration with Charles D. Warner and published in 1873,though not an artistic success, gives its name to the America of the post-Civil War period which it attempts to
satirize.
A.The Gilded Age
B.The Age of Innocence
C.The Roughing Time
D.The Jazz Age
*.Twain's first book was "The Innocents Abroad(The New Pilgrims' Progress)" .

31.Dreiser's Trilogy of Desire includes three novels. They are The Financier, The Titan and ___C____ .
A.The Genius
B.The Tycoon
C.The Stoic
D.The Giant

32.Daisy Miller's tragedy of indiscretion is intensified and enlarged by its narration from the point of view of ___C____ .
A.the author Henry James
B.the Italian youth Giovanelli
C.the American youth Winterbourne
D.her mother Mrs. Miller

33.The impact of Darwin's evolutionary theory on the American thought and the influence of the nineteenth-century
French literature on the American men of letters gave rise to yet another school of realism: American ____D____ .
A.local colorism
B.vernacularism
C.modernism
D.naturalism

34.It is on his __D__ that Washington Irving's fame mainly rested.
A.childhood recollections
B.sketches about his European tours
C.early poetry
D.tales about America

35."If honest labor be unremunerative and difficult to endure; if it be the long, long road which never reaches  beauty, but wearies the feet and the heart; if the drag to follow beauty be such that one abandons the admired way, taking rather the despised path leading to her dreams quickly, who shall cast the first stone?"
Where is the underlined phrase"cast the first stone" taken from? __A__.
A.The Bible.
B.Milton.
C.Shakespeare.
D.Hawthorne.

36.Most recognizable literary movement that gave rise to the twentieth-century American literature, or we may say, the second American Renaissance, is the ___C____ movement.
A.transcendental
B.leftist
C.expatriate
D.expressionistic

37.Robert Frost combined traditional verse forms - the sonnet, rhyming couplets, blank verse - with a clear American local speech rhythm, the speech of ___D___farmers with its idiosyncratic diction and syntax.
A.Southern
B.Western
C.New Hampshire
D.New England

38.As an autobiographical play, O'Neill's ____B___ (1956)has gained its status as a world classic and
simultaneously marks the climax of his literary career and the coming of age of American drama.
A.The Iceman Cometh
B.Long Day's Journey Into Night
C.The Hairy Ape
D.Desire Under the Elms

39.Apart from the dislocation of time and the modern stream-of-consciousness, the other narrative techniques Faulkner used to construct his stories include __C___ , symbolism and mythological and biblical allusions.
A.impressionism
B.expressionism
C.multiple points of view
D.first person point of view

40.Stylistically, Henry James' fiction is characterized by ___D____ .
A.short, clear sentences
B.abundance of local images
C.ordinary American speech
D.highly refined language

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum