MY7THLIFE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MY7THLIFE

MUSIC VIDEO

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lesson 18: The New Year’s Sacrifice
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2005) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:57 pm by Guest

» Lesson 17: An American Tragedy
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2005) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:56 pm by Guest

» Lesson 16: Tess of the D’Urbervilles
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2005) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:53 pm by Guest

» Lesson 15: Going Through Old Dreams
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2005) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:52 pm by Guest

» Lesson 14: How to Grow Old
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2005) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:51 pm by Guest

» Lesson 13: A Valentine to One Who Cared-Too Much
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2005) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:50 pm by Guest

» Lesson 12: China Can Basically Achieve Self-Sufficiency in Grain Trough Self-Reliance
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2005) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:49 pm by Guest

» Lesson 11: China and Britain in the World Economy
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2005) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:47 pm by Guest

» Lesson 10: A Global Economy
CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2005) I   EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:46 pm by Guest

You are not connected. Please login or register

CN English-American literature test paper (April, 2005) I

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I. Multiple Choice (40 points in all, 1 for each)

1.The most significant idea of the Renaissance is( A  ).
A. humanism B. realism
C. naturalism D. skepticism

2.Shakespeare’s tragedies include all the following except( D  ).
A. Hamlet and King Lear
B. Antony and Cleopatra and Macbeth
C. Julius Caesar and Othello
D. The Merchant of Venice and A Midsummer Night’s Dream

3.The statement “Studies serve for delight, for ornament, and for ability”opens one of well-known essays by( A  ).
A. Francis Bacon B. Samuel Johnson
C. Alexander Pope D. Jonathan Swift

4.In Hardy’s Wessex novels, there is an apparent( A  )touch in his description of the simple though primitive rural life.
A. nostalgic B. humorous
C. romantic D. ironic

5.Backbite, Sneerwell, and Lady Teazle are characters in the play The School for Scandal by( C  ).
A. Christopher Marlowe        B. Ben Jonson
C. Richard Brinsley Sheridan D. George Bernard Shaw

6.Of all the 18th century novelists Henry Fielding was the first to set out, both in theory and practice, to write specifically a“( B  )in prose,”the first to give the modern novel its structure and style.
A. tragic epic B. comic epic
C. romance D. lyric epic

7.In his poem “Tyger, Tyger,”William Blake expresses his perception of the“fearful symmetry”of the big cat. The phrase“fearful symmetry”suggests( D  ).
A. the tiger’s two eyes which are dazzlingly bright and symmetrically set
B. the poet’s fear of the predator
C. the analogy of the hammer and the anvil
D. the harmony of the two opposite aspects of God’s creation

8.“What is his name?”
“Bingley.”
“Is he married or single?”
“Oh! Single, my dear, to be sure! A single man of large fortune; four or five thousand a year. What a fine thing for our girls!”
The above dialogue must be taken from( A  ).
A. Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice
B. Emily Bronte’s Wuthering Heights
C. John Galsworthy’s The Forsyte Saga
D. George Eliot’s Middlemarch

9.The short story“Araby”is one of the stories in James Joyce’s collection( D  ).
A. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
B. Ulysses
C. Finnegans Wake
D. Dubliners

10.William Wordsworth, a romantic poet, advocated all the following except( D  ).
A. the using of everyday language spoken by the common people
B. the expression of the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings
C. the humble and rustic life as subject matter
D. elegant wording and inflated figures of speech

11.Here are two lines taken from The Merchant of Venice:“Not on thy sole, but on thy soul, harsh Jew/Thou mak’st thy knife keen.”What kind of figurative device is used in the above lines?( C  )
A. Simile.                    B. Metonymy.
C. Pun.                       D. Synecdoche.

12.“If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?”is an epigrammatic line by( D  ).
A. J. Keats                          B. W. Blake
C. W. Wordsworth               D. P. B. Shelley

13.The poems such as“The Chimney Sweeper”are found in both Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience by( B  ).
A. William Wordsworth                    B. William Blake
C. John Keats                                 D. Lord Gordon Byron

14.John Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress is often regarded as a typical example of( A  ).
A. allegory                                      B. romance
C. epic in prose                               D. fable

15.Alexander Pope strongly advocated neoclassicism, emphasizing that literary works should be judged by( A  )rules of order, reason, logic, restrained emotion, good taste and decorum.
A. classical                                 B. romantic
C. sentimental                            D. allegorical

16.In his essay“Of Studies,”Bacon said:“Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and( D  ).”
A. skimmed                                   B. perfected
C. imitated                                    D. digested

17.“For I have known them all already, known them all—/Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,/I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.”The above lines are taken from( B  ).
A. Wordsworth’s “The Solitary Reaper”
B. Eliot’s“The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock”
C. Coleridge’s“Kubla Khan”
D. Yeats’s“The Lake Isle of Innisfree”

18.(The)( C  )was a progressive intellectual movement throughout Western Europe in the 18th century.
A. Romanticism                               B. Humanism
C. Enlightenment                             D. Sentimentalism

19.A typical Forsyte, according to John Galsworthy, is a man with a strong sense of( C  ), who never pays any attention to human feelings.
A. morality B. justice
C. property D. humor

20.The typical feature of Robert Browning’s poetry is the ( D  ).
A. bitter satire                                                 B. larger-than-life caricature
C. Latinized diction                                           D. dramatic monologue

21.George Bernard Shaw’s play, Mrs. Warren’s Profession is a grotesquely realistic exposure of the( C  ).
A. slum landlordism                                           B. political corruption in England
C. economic oppression of women                      D. religious corruption in England

22.The story starting with the marriage of Paul’s parents Walter Morel and Mrs. Morel must be ( B  ).
A. Thomas Hardy’s Tess of the D’Urbervilles
B. D. H. Lawrence’s Sons and Lovers
C. George Eliot’s Middlemarch
D. Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre

23.In American literature the first important writer who earned an international fame on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean is( A  ).
A. Washington Irving
B. Ralph Waldo Emerson
C. Nathaniel Hawthorne
D. Walt Whitman

24.The American novelist Nathaniel Hawthorne is known for his“black vision.”The term“black vision”refers to( B  ).
A. Hawthorne’s observation that every man faces a black wall
B. Hawthorne’s belief that all men are by nature evil
C. that Hawthorne employed a dream vision to tell his story
D. that Puritans of Hawthorne’s time usually wore black clothes

25.Theodore Dreiser was once criticized for his( A  )in style, but as a true artist his strength just lies in that his style is very serious and well calculated to achieve the thematic ends he sought.
A. crudeness                                          B. elegance
C. conciseness                                        D. subtlety

26.“He is the last of the romantic heroes, whose energy and sense of commitment take him in search of his personal Grail; his failure magnifies to a great extent the end of the American Dream.”The character referred to in the passage is most likely the protagonist of( A  ).
A. Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby
B. Dreiser’s An American Tragedy
C. Hemingway’s For Whom the Bell Tolls
D. Twain’s The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

27.Almost all Faulkner’s heroes turned out to be tragic because( C  ).
A. all enjoyed living in the declining American South
B. none of them was conditioned by the civilization and social institutions
C. most of them were prisoners of the past
D. none were successful in their attempt to explain the inexplicable

28.Yank, the protagonist of Eugene O’Neill’s play The Hairy Ape, talked to the gorilla and set it free because( D  ).
A. he was mad, mistaking a beast for a human
B. he was told by the white young lady that he was like a beast and he wanted to see how closely he resembled the gorilla
C. he was caged with the gorilla after he insulted an aristocratic stroller
D. he could feel the kinship only with the beast

29.In( B  ), Robert Frost compares life to a journey, and he is doubtful whether he will regret his choice or not when he is old, because the choice has made all the difference.
A. “After Apple-Picking”
B. “The Road Not Taken”
C. “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”
D. “Fire and Ice”

30.Though Walt Whitman and Emily Dickinson were romantic poets in theme and technique, they differ from each other in a variety of ways. For one thing, whereas Whitman likes to keep     his eye on human society at large, Dickinson often addresses such issues as( D  ), immortality, religion, love and nature.
A. progress                                             B. freedom
C. beauty                                                D. death

31.The Romantic Writers would focus on all the following issues EXCEPT the( B  )in the American literary history.
A. individual feeling                                    B. survival of the fittest
C. strong imagination                                 D. return to nature

32.Generally speaking, all those writers with a naturalistic approach to human reality tend to be( C  ).
A. transcendentalists                                 B. optimists
C. pessimists                                            D. idealists

33.With Howells, James, and Mark Twain active on the literary scene,( C  )became the major trend in American literature in the seventies and eighties of the 19th century.
A. Sentimentalism                                         B. Romanticism
C. Realism                                                    D. Naturalism

34.American writers after World War I self-consciously acknowledged that they were(a)“( A  ),”devoid of faith and alienated from the Western civilization.
A. Lost Generation                                    B. Beat Generation
C. Sons of Liberty                                     D. Angry Young Men

35.In( B  ), Washington Irving agrees with the protagonist on his preference of the past to the present, and of a dream-like world to the real world.
A. “Young Goodman Brown”                            B.“Rip Van Winkle”
C. “Rappaccini’s Daughter”                               D.“Bartleby, the Scrivener”

36.Hester Prynne, Dimmesdale, Chillingworth and Pearl are most likely characters in( B  ).
A. The House of the Seven Gables                    B. The Scarlet Letter
C. The Portrait of a Lady                                  D. The Pioneers

37.Like Nathaniel Hawthorne,( D  )also manages to achieve the effect of ambiguity through symbolism and allegory in his narratives.
A. Mark Twain                                               B. Henry James
C. R. W. Emerson                                          D. Herman Melville

38.In his realistic fiction, Henry James’s primary concern is to present the( A  ).
A. inner life of human beings                             B. American Civil War and its effects
C. life on the Mississippi River                            D. Calvinistic view of original sin

39.Which of the following is NOT a typical feature of Mark Twain’s writing style?( C  )
A. Simple vernacular.                                      B. Local color.
C. Lengthy psychological analyses.                   D. Richness of irony and humor.

40.Which of the following statements about E. Grierson, the protagonist in Faulkner’s story“A Rose for Emily,”is NOT true?( B  )
A. She has a distorted personality.
B. She is physically deformed and paralyzed.
C. She is the symbol of the old values of the South.
D. She is the victim of the past glory.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum