MY7THLIFE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MY7THLIFE

MUSIC VIDEO

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lesson 18: The New Year’s Sacrifice
CN English-American literature test paper (July, 2010) I  EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:57 pm by Guest

» Lesson 17: An American Tragedy
CN English-American literature test paper (July, 2010) I  EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:56 pm by Guest

» Lesson 16: Tess of the D’Urbervilles
CN English-American literature test paper (July, 2010) I  EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:53 pm by Guest

» Lesson 15: Going Through Old Dreams
CN English-American literature test paper (July, 2010) I  EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:52 pm by Guest

» Lesson 14: How to Grow Old
CN English-American literature test paper (July, 2010) I  EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:51 pm by Guest

» Lesson 13: A Valentine to One Who Cared-Too Much
CN English-American literature test paper (July, 2010) I  EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:50 pm by Guest

» Lesson 12: China Can Basically Achieve Self-Sufficiency in Grain Trough Self-Reliance
CN English-American literature test paper (July, 2010) I  EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:49 pm by Guest

» Lesson 11: China and Britain in the World Economy
CN English-American literature test paper (July, 2010) I  EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:47 pm by Guest

» Lesson 10: A Global Economy
CN English-American literature test paper (July, 2010) I  EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:46 pm by Guest

You are not connected. Please login or register

CN English-American literature test paper (July, 2010) I

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ⅰ. Multiple Choice(40 points in all, 1 for each)
Select from the four choices of each item the one that best answers the question or completes the statement. Write your answers in the corresponding space on the answer sheet.

1. T. S. Eliot’s __B____ is a poem of dramatic monologue and a prelude to The Waste Land, helping to point up the continuity of Eliot’s thinking.
A. “Prufrock” B. “Gerontion”
C. The Hollow Men D. Four Quartets

2. Defoe’s group of four novels are the first literary works devoted to the study of problems of the lower-class people. They are the following EXCEPT __D____.
A. Captain Singleton B. Moll Flanders
C. Roxana D. Robinson Crusoe

3. Charles Dickens’ novel, ___B___, is famous for its vivid descriptions of the work-house and life of the underworld in the nineteenth-century London.
A. The Pickwick Paper B. Oliver Twist
C. David Copperfield D. Nicholas Nickleby

4. D. H. Lawrence’s autobiographical novel is __C____.
A. The Rainbow B. Women in Love
C. Sons and Lovers D. Lady Chatterley’s Lover

5. Jonathan Swift’s greatest satiric work is __C____.
A. A Tale of a Tub B. The Battle of the Books
C. Gulliver’s Travels D. A Modest Proposal

6. Dickens’best- depicted characters are the following. EXCEPT __D____.
A. innocent, virtuous, persecuted and helpless child characters
B. horrible and grotesque characters
C. broadly humorous or comical characters
D. simple, innocent and faithful women characters

7. George Bernard Shaw’s __A____ explored his idea of “Life Force”, the power that would create superior beings to be equal to God and to solve all the social, moral, and metaphysical problems of human society.
A. Man and Superman B. The Apple Cart
C. Pygmalion D. Too True to Be Good

8. For his contribution to the establishment of the form of the modern novel, ___C___ has been regarded as “Father of the English Novel”.
A. Daniel Defoe B. Jonathan Swift
C. Henry Fielding D. Oliver Goldsmith

9. Charlotte Bronte’s autobiograghical work __C____ largely based on her experience in Brussels.
A. The Professor B. Shirley
C. Villette D. Jane Eyre

10. D. H. Lawrence’s artistic tendency is mainly ___B___ , which combines dramatic scenes with an authoritative commentary.
A. romanticism B. realism
C. naturalism D. modernism

11. In __C____ opinion, human nature is seriously and permanently flawed. To better human life, enlightenment is needed, but to redress it is very hard.
A. Daniel Defoe’s B. Charles Dickens’
C. Jonathan Swift’s D. Henry Fielding’s

12. The major theme of Jane Austen’s novels is ___D___ toward which she holds on a practical idealism.
A. love and money B. marriage and money
C. love and family D. love and marriage

13. Hardy’s ___A___ is a fierce attack on the hypocritical morality of the bourgeois society and the capitalist invasion into the country and destruction of the English peasantry towards the end of the century.
A. Tess of the D’Urbervilles B. The Mayor of Caste Bridge
C. The Return of the Native D. Jude the Obscure

14. Henry Fielding adopted “__D____” to relate a story in his novel in which the author becomes the “all- knowing God”.
A. the first- person narration B. the epistolary form
C. the picaresque form D. the third -person narration

15. In ___B___ , Shelley created a Platonic symbol of the spirit of man, a force of beauty and regeneration.
A. “To a Skylark” B. “The Cloud”
C. “Ode to Liberty” D. Adonais

16. The success of __B____ is also due to its introduction to the English novel the first governess heroine.
A. The Professor B. Jane Eyre
C. Wuthering Heights D. Far from the Madding Crowd

17. John Milton’s __A____ is the only generally acknowledged epic in English literature since Beowulf.
A. Paradise Lost B. Paradise Regained
C. Samson Agonistes D. Areopagitica

18. Wordsworth’s __B____ is perhaps the most anthologized poem in English literature.
A. “To a Skylark” B. “I Wondered Lonely as a Cloud”
C. “An Evening Walk” D. “My Heart Leaps Up”

19. As the best of Shakespeare’s final romances, ___A___ is a typical example of his pessimistic view towards human life and society in his late years.
A. The Tempest B. The Winter’s Tale
C. Cymbeline D. The Rape of Lucrece

20. The major representatives of the poetic revolution in English Romantic period were Samuel Taylor Coleridge and __B____.
A. William Blake B. William Wordsworth
C. John Keats D. Percy Bysshe Shelley

21. Samson Agonistes by __A____ is the most perfect example of the verse drama after the Greek style in English.
A. John Milton B. William Blake
C. Henry Fielding D. William Wordsworth

22. The declaration that “I know that This World is a World of IMAGINATION & Vision,” and that “The Nature of my work is visionary or imaginative” belongs to __A____.
A. William Blake B. William Wordsworth
C. Samuel Taylor Coleridge D. George Gordon Byron

23. Two people could be “twain yet one” : their paths could be different, and yet they could achieve a kind of transcendent contact, ___A___ believed.
A. Walt Whitman B. Ezra Pound
C. Washington Irving D. Nathaniel Hawthorne

24. Most literary critics think that Fitzgerald is both an insider and an outsider of __A____ with a double vision.
A. the Jazz Age B. the Age of Reason and Revolution
C. the Babybooming Age D. the Post- Modern Age

25. The Nobel Prize Committee highly praised __B____ for “his powerful style forming mastery of the art” of creating modern fiction.
A. T. S. Eliot B. Ernest Hemingway
C. William Faulkner D. Mark Twain

26. The attitude towards life that __C____ had been trying to demonstrate in his works is known as “grace under pressure”.
A. William Faulkner B. Theodore Dreiser
C. Ernest Hemingway D. F•Scott Fitzgerald

27. In 1841, __A____ went to the South Seas on a whaling ship, where he gained the first- hand information about whaling that he used later in Moby -Dick.
A. Herman Melville B. Nathaniel Hawthorne
C. Robert Lee Frost D.T.S. Eliot

28. In most of his writings, ____B__ deliberately broke up the chronology of his narrative by juxtaposing the past with the present, in the way the montage does in a movie.
A. Walt Whitman B. William Faulkner
C. Ernest Hemingway D.F. Scott Fitzgerald

29. In 1950, one of the leading American writers ___C___ was awarded the Nobel Prize for the anti-racist Intruder in the Dust.
A. Robert Frost B. Theodore Dreiser
C. William Faulkner D.F. Scott Fitzgerald

30. Walt Whitman ’s ___D___ is a collection of poems incorporating his emotions and feelings before and during the Civil War when he stood firmly on the side of the North.
A. Leaves of Grass B. “Cavalry Crossing a Ford”
C. “Song of Myself” D. Drum Taps

31. It was his masterpiece The Great Gatsby that made ___A___ one of the greatest American novelists.
A. F. Scott Fitzgerald B. William Faulkner
C. Ernest Hemmingway D. Gertrude Steinbeck

32. The childhood of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn in the Mississippi is a record of a vanished way of life in the __C____ Mississippi valley.
A. pre - War of Independence B. post - War of Independence
C. pre - Civil War D. post - Civil War

33. In Moby-Dick, for the character Ahab, the white whale represents only __A____.
A. evil B. nature
C. society D. purity

34. Melville’s semi- autobiographical novel, __B____, concerns the sufferings of a genteel youth among brutal sailors.
A. Moby-Dick B. Redburn
C. Mardi D. Typee

35. Closely related to Dickinson’s religious poetry are her poems concerning __C____, ranging over the physical as well as the psychological and emotional aspects of death.
A. love and nature B. death and universe
C. death and immortality D. family and happiness

36. The effect of Darwinist idea of “survival of the fittest” was shattering in ___C___ ’s fictional world of jungle, where “kill or to be killed” was the law.
A. Mark Twain B. Henry James
C. Theodore Dreiser D. Walt Whitman

37. Though Robert Frost’s subject matters mainly focus on the landscape and people in __D____, he wrote many poems that investigate the basic themes of man’s life in his long poetic career.
A. the South B. the West
C. England D. New England

38. Like all naturalists, __A____ was restrained from finding a solution to the social problems that appeared in his novels and accordingly almost all his works have tragic endings.
A. Theodore Dreiser B. Henry James
C. Washington Irving D. Walt Whitman

39. “The Birthmark” drives home symbolically Hawthorne’s point that __C____ is man’s birthmark, something he is born with.
A. purity B. generosity
C. evil D. love

40. The Blithedale Romance is a novel __B____ wrote to reveal his own experiences on the Brook Farm and his own methods as a psychological novelist.
A. Herman Melville B. Nathaniel Hawthorne
C. Washington Irving D. Walt Whitman

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum